Wild Garlic & Chickweed Chicken with Grilled Veg – This recipe is a brilliant way to celebrate the edible plants spring has to offer. You can cook this over and oven or take it outside to the BBQ to really get into the spirit.
Cooking with wild food allows your mind to be imaginative. There is a lot of trial and error and opportunity to explore new flavours and textures.
Here is what you’ll need:
- Sweet Potato
- 100g Wild Garlic
- 100g Chickweed
- Chicken thighs
- Splash of Oil
- Splash of Lemon
- 25ml Honey
- 20g Wild Garlic
- ½ tsp Paprika
- Splash of Orange Juice
- ½ tsp Cumin
Once you have all your ingredients set get ready to start the marinade.
- Chop 20g of Wild Garlic thinly.
- Add your chopped Wild Garlic to the remainder of the marinade ingredients – mix together until the ingredients are all blended in together.
- Add the chicken into the marinade and leave for at least 3 hours (if you can leave it overnight, we’d recommend to do so!)
- In a separate bowl add the remainder of Wild Garlic (chopped), Chickweed (chopped), oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Chop all your veg into nice bite size chunks; peppers, sweet potato, courgette and potato. Season these with your wild garlic and chickweed.
- Heat up your oven to 200 degrees C or the BBQ until it’s smoking hot.
- If you’re using the BBQ, add the chicken, courgette, sweet potato and pepper. If you fancy, you can cook this as separate items or on a skewer…kebab style.
- If you’re using an over, you can choose to grill the veg, pan fry it or bake it in the oven.
- Add the chicken separately to the grill or oven.
- Once the chicken and veg is all cooked, it’s time to serve.
- If you’re feeling like you want more wild garlic, at the end quickly fry an un-chopped leaf of wild garlic. 30 seconds or less on each side.
You can enjoy this dish with lots of different sides too, it’s great when you’re hosting a BBQ or dinner party. Your guests can bring other bits and bobs. Enjoy with hummus or wild garlic mayo!