The Chocolate and Chestnut Gateaux is a rich and decadent cake, one to impress your afternoon tea guests or for your next celebration. This cake is a firm favourite here at Wild Cornwall HQ, with hints of vanilla in the chestnut jam, and the chestnut flour adding a sweet, earthy, and a slightly smoky flavour to your gateaux, it takes chocolate cake into a whole new dimension.
115 grams chocolate (64 percent cacao or less)
113 grams unsalted butter
4 free range eggs
50g caster sugar plus 2 tablespoons for topping
⅛ teaspoon salt
55 grams chestnut flour
85 grams chopped cooked chestnuts (use vacuum packed if you can’t get them wild!)
1/2 jar of Wild Cornwall Chestnut Jam
Chocolate curls or cocoa powder, for garnish
- Heat oven to 190°.
- Melt chocolate and butter in a Bain Marie until chocolate is nearly completely melted, then remove from heat and whisk until smooth.
- Pulse the sugar in a grinder until it resembles icing sugar.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk egg yolks with 25g of the sugar and the salt until pale and thick. Stir in the warm chocolate and set aside.
- Put egg whites in a clean bowl and beat until fluffy, then add remaining 25g sugar and beat until whites are stiff but not dry.
- Stir in 1/2 jar of Wild Cornwall Sweet Chestnut Jam into the chocolate batter, then fold in 1/4 of the whites to lighten mixture. Fold in remaining whites and pour into a lined 8” cake tin.
- Bake for 30 – 40 minutes and then remove from the oven and leave to firm up in the tin for 5 mins then transfer to a rack to cool.
- Serve with grated chocolate curls and a big dollop of proper Cornish clotted cream.
The Chocolate and Chestnut Gateaux is a sure fire crowd pleaser. If you make it be sure to tag us in your pictures on social media!