As spring rolls on and the days begin to lengthen we see the first of the elderflower blossoms emerging in the hedgerows and roadsides. Their creamy blooms welcome in the warmer weather, and their heady fragrance is enhanced ten fold by harvesting on a sunny day. We use elderflower in a host of different ways whilst it is in season, elderflower cordials, drizzle cakes and ice cream fly out of the doors at the Wild Café, but unsurprisingly my favourite pairing is with a good strong kick of gin!
We use an aromatic Cornish gin as our base and carefully balance the earthy botanicals with the heady sweetness of hand-picked elderflower. This liqueur makes for a phenomenal G&T if you’re feeling traditional, but we recommend making that little extra effort and next time you’re in the mood for a tipple, follow our recipe for a Wild Cornwall Elderflower Bramble.
Elderflower Bramble (serves 2)
A refreshing classic with a forager’s twist, floral elderflower liqueur with sparkling water, a twist of lemon and a drizzle of our Hedgerow Crème de Mure.
- Measure out a 100ml of Wild Cornwall Elderflower Gin Liqueur into a Boston Tin full of ice
- Add 25ml of lemon juice
- Shake and strain into a two lowball glasses filled with crushed ice.
- Top with soda
- Drizzle a little Wild Cornwall Crème de Mure across the tops, and garnish with a sprig of rosemary serve
Our Wild Cornwall Rose, Strawberry, Basil and Black Pepper Vodka is a celebration of all things summer; balanced, sweet, herbal and fresh; this vodka pairs fantastically with a tart cloudy apple juice. Luckily we make our own!
Cornish Cooler (serves 2)
- Measure out a 100ml double serve of Wild Cornwall Rose, Strawberry and Basil Vodka Liqueur into a boston tin of ice
- Add half a bottle of Wild Cornwall Trelonk Apple Juice
- Shake and strain into a two glasses of ice, and top with soda
For something a little punchier and even more unusual why not treat yourself to a Wild Margarita made from our Pine needle and Orange Tequila Liqueur? Inspired by the urban myth that tequila is a stimulant rather than a depressant we set out to make a feel good spirit which lifts the mood. The rich woody scent of pine needles comes from their aromatic terpenes; naturally produced chemicals which directly stimulate the brain to create an uplifted, positive mood. Balanced with a touch of juicy orange, we love the combination of grassy, golden tequila with the refreshing yet earthy notes of pine.
Follow our recipe for a wildly inspired Margarita sure to impress your summertime guests!
Wild Margarita (serves 2)
- Wipe the rims of two chilled martini glasses with a wedge of lime to wet them, then invert and dunk into a saucer of Wild Cornwall Flaky Sea Salt to adhere
- Measure out a 100ml double serve of Wild Cornwall Pine Needle and Orange Tequila Liqueur
- Add half a lime, to taste
- Shake and strain into your chilled Martini glass, avoiding the salt rim as you pour. Enjoy!